The definition of Polymyalgia rheumatica (PMR) makes reference to its chronic nature. It is an inflammatory disease of the larger arteries and it develops in patients that are over the age of fifty years. It is almost similar to temporal arteritis but the symptoms will differ. Likewise the treatment and management of the condition might differ accordingly. This is a condition that is not well understood outside medical circles. The target age for the condition is about fifty years of age. Women are more susceptible to the condition that men. It is also quite prevalent in Europe and America. The patient will suffer form pain and stiffness in the shoulder and hip girdles. The systemic symptoms include fatigue, low grade fever and weight loss.
The background to Polymyalgia rheumatica (PMR)
About a century ago, the first symptoms of Polymyalgia rheumatica (PMR) were reported. The term given at that time was senile rheumatic gout. In the middle of the century clinicians established an association between PMR and giant cell arteritis. The progression of the condition is very abrupt and this might prevent the patient from accessing the required help. The pelvic area and shoulder are the parts that suffer the most. The pain goes through symmetric patterns as well as the joints that are within the vicinity. The pain might change the sleeping patterns for the patients. Individuals that suffer from this condition will have some difficulty combing hair putting on a coat. They might not even be able to get out of a chair due to some of the symptoms. Patients will often experience joint swelling in the wrists, knees and sternoclavicular area. The mid and upper chest is the most affected.
A physical examination might not be enough to confirm or dispute the presence of Polymyalgia rheumatica (PMR). Joint motion will be painful to an extent and there will be some muscle tenderness that is not explained by other factors in play. Some cases have to the conclusion that atrophy and muscle weakness are absent from the symptom list. The age of the patient may have a lot to do with the reaction that they have to the treatment. The Rapid Westergren ESR test will test the erythrocyte or red blood cell count as well as the sedimentation rate. The diagnosis of Polymyalgia rheumatica (PMR) has to be undertaken by a properly qualified physician. They will also begin the process of advising the patient on the best ways to control the condition.
Sometimes Polymyalgia rheumatica (PMR) is combined with other factors that need to be treated as part of a holistic program. The choices that are available to the patient include pain management alone. They might decide to under some sort of surgery in order to avoid acute deformity. In some cases the patient is given supports that ensure that they can maintain a decent posture regardless of the progression of the condition. It is this sort of negotiated treatment program that tends to work well. Elderly patients will be wary of any adverse effects that might arise from the treatment program.
The Patellofemoral pain syndrome (knee pain in young adults) is sometimes abbreviated to PFPS. It is commonly known as the runner’s knee. The implication is that it is associated with professional athletes and is due to the strain that is placed on the knee. It can also affect non professional joggers. The pain will be concentrated around the knee cap and might bring an end to a professional career if there is no appropriate treatment. It can occur on both knees and the treatment program has to be comprehensive in its outlook. The pain will get worse as you participate in any form of activity. That means that walking down the stairs might be a challenge that is too difficult for the patient. There is sometimes a problem with diagnosis when Patellofemoral pain syndrome (knee pain in young adults) is mistaken with Chondromalacia. This second condition involves the softening of the patella.
The causes of Patellofemoral pain syndrome
The causes are not yet entirely clear but the common belief is that the patella can irritate the femur and thus cause deterioration in the cartilage tissue. The patella will be able to move up and down as well as sideways. The contractions can develop due to overuse such as the one seen in professional athletes. These people sometimes have to play through the pain barrier but the physical damage to their bodies will still remain significant even where they are taking a very brave stance and not stopping the game. Over time the development of Patellofemoral pain syndrome (knee pain in young adults) can be so severe that the patient has to give up their career altogether. It is important that the knee is rested as many times as possible. If you must do exercise, then swimming is a good alternative because it lets you rest your knees as you are burning calories. You can still remain fit without damaging your knee. That is the advice that is often given to patients that are in this unfortunate situation.
If you are diagnosed with Patellofemoral pain syndrome (knee pain in young adults), make sure that you undergo a proper rehabilitation program. A physician or therapist will help you learn how to perform exercises correctly. You could also do some strengthening exercise to ensure that you are in the best position to improve the way that you handle this condition. The exercises might help you to strengthen the hips according to your needs at the time. The studies will help you to assess the level of damage that has already been suffered. It is important that you do not put strain on the area that has been affected. The rehabilitation program could also help you to get out more often so that you do not feel all the isolating side effects of the condition. In fact the aim of social work practice is to ensure that you get a good showing on the condition. Do not play through the pain barrier because this can be very dangerous.
It is possible to prevent Osteoporosis. In fact some people might argue that it is easier to prevent the condition that to treat it. The condition is quite devastating because it affects those parts of the body that are most vulnerable. If you lead a good lifestyle then there is every chance that you can avoid the worst effects of the condition. You might even be able to improve your mobility in the long run. The first thing is to look for the risk factors and then keep away from them. That means that you assess the way that you are leading your life and decide whether it is really reducing the risk of developing the condition.
- Milk: It is a good idea to include milk in your diet because it might prevent the development of Osteoporosis. Choose low fat and skim to avoid some of the allergens as well as reducing the fat content in your tea. Avoid cottage cheese but you can eat reduced fat cheeses to build up your choices for nutrition. Milk is an excellent source of calcium and this in turn will help you to build very strong bones. Some milk products have been specifically fortified in order to meet the needs of people with deficiencies. Make sure that you read the label before you buy any milk products. Calcium is also need for vitamin D absorption and that is the critical factor in the prevention of Osteoporosis.
- Fish and greens: Make sure that your diet includes fish. Some of the preferred varieties include salmon and sardines. The canned varieties are perfect. You should eat the fish with the bones since they are softened. These are very rich in calcium. Mackerel as well as other oily fish can help you to access the vitamin D that is required to keep your bones healthy. Fresh greens are also important for the prevention of Osteoporosis. Look for leafy vegetables because they are rich in calcium. They also have potassium and vitamin K which will help you to reduce the loss of calcium from the bones. Examples of great choices include broccoli, kale, bok choy, turnip greens and Swiss chard. Bananas are well known for being a brilliant source of potassium.
- Soy is good and protein is not so good: Make sure that you have a good level of soy within your diet. This item is rich in calcium. It also has plant estrogens such that it can help you to maintain bone density. You can use soy flour instead of the regular flour that is on the shelves. Soy bean nuts are a tasty addition to your meal plan. Soy cereal can attract those teenagers that are not fans of breakfast. Make sure that you use some soy milk as well as malt smoothies. Proteins are good for building your cells but you need to keep them in check. An increase in protein might mean that you excrete higher levels of calcium. It is important that you limit yourself to an RDA of about fifty grams daily for ladies and about sixty grams for gentlemen. The Western diet is often too rich in protein.
It might beneficial for you to take heed of Paget’s disease of bone. The condition is very similar to osteoarthritis and therefore a proper diagnosis is required. Without a proper diagnosis, the treatment will be limited. The common symptoms in these conditions are joint pain as well pain in the bone. Of course you have to remember that Paget’s disease of bone can lead to osteoarthritis. Paget’s disease is a disorder that is chronic and leads to enlarged bones. This is primarily driven by excessive breakdown and formation of bone tissue. The bone then becomes quite weak so that it can no longer support the body. Symptoms include misshapen bones, chronic pain, fractures and even osteoporosis. The causes of Paget’s disease of bone are not definitively defined and this might cause some confusion in the treatment program.
The management of Paget’s disease of bone
The condition will lead to significant changes in the composition of cartilage tissue. That means that some of the essential elasticity is lost. The cushion on the joints may be affected and the patient will generally feel very uncomfortable indeed. Cartilage is supposed to act as a shock absorber. In the absence of functioning cartilage, the bones will be scraping together and the full pressure from the body will be felt. The surface of the cartilage will break and wear away. The bones will rub together and cause significant to the patient. The patient will experience loss of motion. The bone remodeling process will fall down. The forces that are supposed to keep the new bone growing will go into overdrive. Normal calcium levels within the blood stream are partly maintained by the remodeling process for the bones.
The remodeling process might fall out of synch and that will make Paget’s disease of bone worse. The bone that is formed is too large and will be brittle. It can easily fracture and will not be able to support the weight of the body. The condition affects the older skeletal bones of adults. About 1% of adults have this condition. It is rare that the condition will develop in children. The other technical name for the condition that is sometimes used in literature is osteitis deformans. The causes of the condition are not yet entirely clear although there have been suggestions that there is a specific gene that is associated with the condition. This is known as Sequestrosome 1 gene on chromosome 5. A virus could trigger the development of the condition.
It is important that the clinician is involved in the management of Paget’s disease of bone. This is because the condition is likely to deteriorate very quickly if the patient is not receiving the most appropriate medical attention. In due course they might be able to find the halfway solutions that can help them to cope with the condition. This is one of the most important ways that you can keep the condition under control. There is no doubt that Paget’s disease of bone will continue to be a problem in the developed world.
Osteomalacia (soft bones) is one of the conditions that can be frustrating because it involves the deterioration of the body parts without your control. Sometimes it has been associated with a lack of vitamin D. Children can develop Osteomalacia (soft bones) or rickets where there is under development. In Victorian times this was quite common due to the deprived living conditions and the hopeless diet that the majority of citizens had to suffer. Income disparities have been implicated in the development of this condition. The condition is now associated with elderly people especially if they are of South Asian origin.
The symptoms and treatment of Osteomalacia (soft bones)
You can start off by having a balanced diet that includes sources of vitamin D. The legs are often the worst affected area. Therefore you should reduce the strain on them. The upper thighs and knees could also be debilitated due to the development of the condition. If you are going to take exercise, it is important that you ensure that there is control in the way that you move from place to place. This is a condition that can change its stance as you grow taller. The patients will complain of back ache especially in the lower area. A knock on a minor bone will be unnaturally painful as if the injury was much more serious. As the patient deteriorates the pain will be felt in all parts of the body and there is no pattern to the pain. That can mean that the patient becomes inactive.
The muscle structure for the patient may become stiff and weak. This will then spread to the thighs and the muscles within the shoulders. You will find that it is increasingly difficult to climb stairs. Eventually daily activities will become a nightmare for the patient such that they will descend into depression. Some patients have inherited the condition such that the kidney begins to lose phosphate. Minerals could be deposited in the ligaments as well as the tendons. That reduces the movements in the joints. The spine and hips as well as the shoulders could become completely immobile in the extreme cases of the condition. Occasionally the pain is caused by cracks in certain parts of the body.
The prevalence of Osteomalacia (soft bones) has been associated with a lack of vitamin D in the diet. Interestingly most of the vitamin D is produced by the body. This is through the conversion of cholesterol into the requisite nutrient. The body requires ten micro grams of the vitamin by per day. Even where the symptoms of Osteomalacia (soft bones) are manifest, you need to keep going with a balanced diet. Likewise you need to ensure that there is no undue strain on your body. That will be the key to conquering the condition and leading a relatively comfortable lifestyle. If you look at these issues then it is entirely possible that you will conquer the condition in due course. Those changes can also work to your favor in terms of extending your lifespan.
Osteoarthritis of the knee is sometimes known as gon arthritis. It leads to a long term challenge of limited movement and pain. The patient might be impaired to such an extent that they are classifies as having a serious disability. This condition is better arrested in the medium stages before it has had the chance to inflict serious damage on the body. The patient will stand a much better chance of recovery if the intervention is at an early stage. These are the areas that you might want to look at:
- Shoe selection: You need to select shoes that fit. Some patients are looking to be stylish when in fact their health should be the overriding issue. There is no way that you can be stylish if you are in agony over the shoes that you are wearing. If there are high heels then it might be that you are multiplying the pressure on your knees. Some of the latest fashion hazards are promoted as haute couture. You need to have the maturity to get out of that loop.
- Platforms are dangerous: These shoes were quite fashionable in the seventies. These times we have come to the conclusion that there are some of the most dangerous shoes that were ever made. They involve significant pressure on the feet and yet they do not support the body as shoes ought to be doing. You need to think about the possibility of Osteoarthritis of the knee when you are buying shoes. Likewise avoid sandals unless it is a rare occasion. The best shoes are the ones with low heels because they provide your body with the support that it needs. The laces on the feet should firm up and support you when you need support.
- Uphill and downhill: Avoid walking uphill and downhill. Some exercise gurus tell us that that is the best way to reduce weight and build your stamina. However the damage to your feet will be incalculable. It is better to walk on a flat surface. If you need to up the pace then you can do so but avoid jogging. Since the days of Jimmy Carter, the work has learnt that jogging is one of the most stressful activities for your knees. It is not surprising that many previous joggers have developed Osteoarthritis of the knee. The heart is also under enormous pressure when you job.
- Use the lift if it is available: There are some healthy living gurus who will tell you that you need to avoid the Lift. Of course there are times when you need to burn off those lunchtime calories. Nonetheless you need to ensure that you do not walk up the stairs without proper planning. If you are always using the stairs, then you will have a fantastic figure but an increase in the risk of Osteoarthritis of the knee. These are choices that you will need to look at on a long term basis. The exercise gurus are often merely experimenting with theories.
This article looks at the development of Osteoarthritis and the way that it can be managed in such a way that the patient does not have a drastically reduced quality of life. It is estimated that more than twenty one million Americans suffer from the condition. It has particularly affected the baby boomers. The numbers will continue to rise as the effects of an ageing population are felt in the richer nations. Osteoarthritis has been identified as one of the leading causes of disability amongst adults. Therefore the implications of this condition go far beyond the individuals that are attempting to get out of its clutches. This is a condition that can go to the heart of the management of members of the community.
Long term programs to manage Osteoarthritis
Social services and other welfare programs aim to keep people as active as possible. At the same the primary objective is also followed with a desire not to institutionalize people that are suffering from this condition. At the age of forty, about ninety percent of the population will have developed some sort of Osteoarthritis in the joints that bear the majority of weight on the body. These include the hips, the knees, and the back. Many of these people will remain asymptomatic and therefore will not get any treatment. That means that the clinicians might not be aware about the development of the condition. Under X-ray evidence it is estimated that by about seventy percent of people will have developed the condition. Those are alarming statistics especially if the budgets for elderly care are squeezed as a result of the recession.
It is not easy to say that Osteoarthritis can be definitively prevented. Instead the management of the condition is given precedence in all the negotiations. The hope is that there will be some sort of relief for the patients that are trying to grapple with the condition. Generally speaking you need to keep your weight under control so that you are not in the mix for developing the condition. There are certain risk factors that you may attempt to modify in order to ensure that you do not become the next victim of the condition. There will be disagreements amongst the professionals about specific interventions but your doctor will have the background knowledge to give you the best treatment.
There is no such thing as an ideal body weight. Some people are not really overweight but the muscle tissue in their body means that the moment they stand on the scales, the BMI indicator goes into the red. These are some of the issues that can change according to the genetic makeup of the individual. You should try to eat a balanced diet and take some exercise to ensure that you are not falling back on the basic requirement to keep healthy. Trauma can lead to Osteoarthritis. Therefore you should not spend the entire day on the treadmill because it might cause you problems down the road. These are the steps that you need to take from time to time.
The onset of Lupus might indicate that the patient is suffering from a serious immune deficiency condition. Many patients that are suffering from this condition will react very badly to sunlight and UV light. This means that they will not enjoy being outdoors or working under fluorescent lights. They will not want to operate with halogen lights or computer monitors. That can make it very difficult for the patient to earn a living in the ordinary course of things. It is one of those conditions that are responsible for many problems. It can seriously reduce the quality of life that the patient enjoys in the long run.
The correct to treat a patient with lupus
It is important that the sufferer wears a high factor sunscreen that has a SPF reading of at least 15. This is required when they outside even where it is a cloudy day. The UV rays are capable of penetrating the clouds and might cause havoc with the eyes in these cases. You might be able to get sunscreen prescription if you are a resident of the United Kingdom. The best sunscreen to use is Uvistat Ultrablock. You should wear long sleeved clothing in order to limit the amount of contact that you have with the sun. The fabrics should have a close weave so that you further isolate the harmful UV rays that might play havoc with your body Where you have having problems using a monitor then it is probably wise for you to buy a UV filter screen as well as wearing sunscreen. There are some casing filters which cover UV lighting and they can be bought commercially.
The sun is strongest between 10am and 3pm. This is when you should ensure that you are indoors so that you avoid the worst of the sun. The ultraviolet rays can be reflected from various surfaces including snow, glass, water and cement. These reflected rays are quite intense and you need to keep away from them if you suffer from Lupus. If you have this condition on a long term basis then you may be entitled to certain benefits. Make sure that you make the appropriate claim on those benefits to ensure that you are able to deal with the requirements under the selection criteria. Even where you are working the state might provide you with support when you have Lupus.
It is in your best interests to keep away from alcohol. It will interact with the anti inflammatory drugs that you are given and this could cause gastrointestinal problems including gastritis and peptic ulcers. If you are taking sedatives then the likelihood is that the alcohol will interact with them to produce those negative symptoms that might spoil the quality of life that you lead. Generally speaking you have to lead a life that does not compromise your health at the time. You also have to look at the alternatives if the treatment program is too harsh for you. This is meant to help you get better and not to make you feel worse.
It is important that you keep away from sedatives. They do not add much to your treatment program and yet they can make you lethargic. It is better to concentrate on the therapies that seem to work in different circumstances. This is a condition that might be managed on a long term basis. However you need to be prepared to plan ahead and executive the right strategies for dealing with neck pain. Sedatives make you lose control over your body during the night. The body will adjust in order to get to a comfortable position unless you are on sedatives. If you have taken sedatives then the body will remain in an uncomfortable position throughout the night. That will have negative connotations for your posture and might lead to long term damage.
Sensible solutions for neck pain
It is a good idea to have sensible exercise regimes that keep you active on a daily basis. These will help to relieve the muscle tension that might have built up in your body. Make sure that you always sit up regardless of the circumstances. This will mean that you can deal with any negative effects on your body. You can do some routines that will increase the strength of your neck muscles. Normally these routines involve moving the head from side to side. Remember that the brain and head can be quite heavy. Therefore you need to have the right support mechanism in order to cope with the pressure. Repetitive exercises have to be avoided unless they are part of a planned program that looks at all the perspectives that you have in mind to keep healthy.
Make sure that you move around as often as possible. You should not sit in the same position for too long. The desk is a place of work and therefore you need to find ways of keeping it in check. At the end you will improve your chances of recovery if you have taken the time to look after your body well. The bone structure needs support from you in order to function properly. The last thing that is required is for you to put too much pressure on the body. In the end you could be in a situation where it is very difficult to handle all the requirements that are associated with the program that you are managing. If you are a driver then make sure that you are driving in the correct position. The neck can be strained by simple things such as making the wrong maneuver at the wrong time.
If an assessment is made that you need a neck bracelet or support then you should use it. Some people are bothered by the support and will remove the support. That will make your neck flaccid and you might not be able to hold your head up straight. The doctor will make an assessment to determine how far they are going to support the neck. In the end that can improve your chances of leading a healthy lifestyle.
Many individuals suffer from Knee pain and yet they are unable to definitively work out the reason for their pain. Athletes at least have a team of assistants that can give an overview on the reasons for the arthritis pain. This is one of the factors that lie behind all the work that is done to improve the treatment of the condition. The knee suffers lots of stress due to the fact that it is holding the body for all intents and purposes. Luckily there are a number of steps that you can take to alleviate some of the most damaging symptoms of the condition. Likewise you can take steps to improve the prognosis for the condition:
- Warm up exercises: It is imperative that you start your exercise regime with a gentle warm up. You should also end it with the same process but in reversal. This allows the muscles to cope with the strain of the exercise so that you do not develop Knee pain in due course. When you undertake a warm up phase the synovial fluid in the joints adjust to the weight on your body. This means that you get less friction with the weight you are carrying. Make sure that you do not take up too much pressure from squatting or jumping.
- Posterior chain functionality: You need to find a posterior chain in order to manage Knee pain. This is a method of exercise that will reduce the strain on your knees. You need to look at hip action as a means of reducing the pressure in much the same way that dancers operate. If you use bad biomechanics then your body will suffer in terms of increased stress as well as other effects on your frame.
- Quad dominant: Make sure that you are looking after your quad dominant. If your buttocks are lifting something very large then you should compare it with the effort that you put in when squatting. You start with the hip action and then work your way to the leg. Some of the exercises that might help you include Glute lifts as well as bridges on a Swiss ball.
- Controlled walking: There is a science and an art to walking. You need to ensure that you are not straining your body in the process. This is an activity that is carried out by millions of people on a daily basis but some of them cannot get it right the first time. They seem to need help to be able to walk properly. You need to ensure that you are using the right technique and not causing long term damage to your bones.
When you are suffering from Knee pain, it is important that you speak to your doctor. In that sense you can come up with solutions that can keep you mobile while ensuring that you are not endangering your body. It will also help you in the long run when it comes to keeping healthy at all times. You have to take this issue as seriously as if it were in the case of a sports person.